Friday, August 29, 2008

SOUPS ON!


I really enjoy soup. When the weather is cool I like to have it for lunch or dinner.
Paul, he really isn't a "soup guy". The kids will eat it (they eat pretty much anything!)
So, Paul had a meeting on Wed. and we were having cloudy weather, the temp stayed under 90 that day. I thought oh boy its soup weather!
I put together some stuff in the crock pot and liked what I came up with, so I wanted to share.
By the way, the next day Paul ate for lunch the next day and really liked it :)
Here is what we had:

Place3 boneless skinless chicken breast in crock pot and sprinkle with pepper and garlic powder.
Half bag of large bag of frozen chopped broccoli
1 family size can of cream of chicken soup

I cooked on low for 6 hrs then took out the chicken and shredded it up. Put the chicken and one can of evaporated milk in the crock pot. At this point I put the crock on warm because it was almost dinner time.
Then I went to the stove and made a basic white sauce. equal parts butter and flour cooked together then add as much milk as you need to make the consistence you want. It thickens as it cooks. (this is how gravy is made) Then I added shredded cheddar cheese to the mixture and poured it all in the crock and stirred. At this point, you decide how thick you want it. Add more milk if you like or leave it thick and creamy.
We ate it thick like a chowder.

I made homemade rolls to go with it. I have a wonderfully talented friend, Fawn, who taught me how to make them. My are not as great has hers, but are really good. Paul still thinks Fawns are the best ever! (we even made "butt" rolls in her honor).
We miss Fawn and her family they moved this summer, but we are grateful for the wonderful bread recipe she left behind!
I hope this all made since, it was such a nice dinner, I wanted to share. As you can tell, I am all about semi-homemade, so it was supper easy.
If you try my concoction, I mean recipe, let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

I love soup days too! (what is it about men and soup dinners-not Hank's favorite either) That looks soooo good-I'm going to try it. I missed the enrichment of Fawn's famous rolls. Post the recipe will you?

Ms. Franks said...

Hey,

Call me some time or email me.

millyf@qwest.net

Everyone is so big. I am sad you didn't call me when you came home last time.

Milly